Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It's Snowing Outside and Everyone Feels the Need to Tell Me So

I'm not sure if this patron is doing genealogy research on John Glenn, as well as several former U.S. Presidents, because he thinks he's somehow related to them, or if he's doing it just for fun because he ran out of leads on his own family. Regardless, I hope Mr. Glenn's autobiography will give him the "elusive clues" he's hoping to find.

He has apparently been attempting to research my family too, as he emailed me some data about some people who happen to share my last name but are in no way related to me. This is what I get for using some of my ancestors as examples during the classes I teach about our genealogy databases. Darn my great-grandfather for being such a good example of showing up in census and military records with 5 different first names!

In other news, earlier I helped a guy respond to a message he got on an online dating website, because I guess the bright red Reply button wasn't obvious enough. I think it would be rather unappealing to know that the guy who sent you a message had to have a librarian help him do so. It's one thing to need help using a computer. It's quite another to need help composing the message so as to get the best response from the woman. Luckily it was busy enough that I could politely excuse myself from his attempts at virtual wooing.

No comments: