Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Lucky Me

Yesterday the patron mentioned in a previous post regarding his complete and utter stinkiness arrived at the beginning of my four-hour desk shift and left at the end of said four-hour desk shift. I was forced to gag on his wafting-throughout-the-entire-floor stench for four straight, hellish hours. (Actually, a sulfurous Hell would've been preferable.)

He comes in every day, and rarely a day goes by that his odor is not forced upon me. But yesterday the library gods must have been crapping all over me, because his four hours of being here corresponded exactly to my four hours of helping the public enter online contests for free waffles.

Okay, so he stinks. As if that's not bad enough, he's highly irritating in other ways as well. During these four hours, he came up to me several times to tell me about breakthroughs in his genealogy research (making me regret greatly ever having taught classes on how to use our genealogy databases); several times to complain that he sometimes doesn't get more than the one hour he's entitled to in a study room; once to complain that we charge for printing after the first 10 free pages; and once to complain about how I do my job because I don't give him special treatment.

Oh, he's special all right. Special in that "ewwww those leftovers got shoved to the back of the fridge and turned all fuzzy and green and I'm just going to throw the whole tupperware away because I can't stand to open it to clean it" way.

No comments: