Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Saturday: 7.5 Hours at the Reference Desk and I Didn't Even Get a Lousy T-Shirt

It's great that you're making use of our pencil sharpener, but do you have to stand where you impede other patrons' access to the printer while sharpening your rather massive amount of pencils? Are you sharpening enough to last you a year or what?

There is a recycling bin right next to the printer. Why do you walk past that bin, past the sign that says "staff only beyond this point," and behind the reference desk to deposit your unwanted printouts in the staff recycling bin?

You're setting a great example when you shout at your child, "You have to be quiet! This is a library!"

I know you know you're not supposed to talk on your cell phone in here, otherwise you wouldn't be making me chase you through the stacks to ask you to take your conversation about your most recent (and a bit disturbing) medical problems to the lobby.

Sorry, we don't proofread documents. No, not even if you pay me "extra." I'm not that desperate yet, and you're spending too much time staring at my chest.

I'm very sorry you forgot to bring with you the papers you need to complete your project. I sympathize, but please cease shouting profanities as you rummage through your bag. "Shit" and "goddammit" are not part of the magic spell that makes lost papers reappear.

No sir, we don't allow people to cut classified ads out of the paper. Yes, I realize that someone else might see the ad and call about that room for rent before you do, but there are a whole lot of other copies of the paper out there, and you can't just cut the competition out of each one.

No comments: